Sunday, November 9, 2008

Why I do What I do

Do you want to know why my major is so incredibly awesome?

It celebrates people. It celebrates their achievements. And it celebrates their creations. How cool is that? I get to take classes and study awesome people who created awesome things. I study crazy people, depressed people, intelligent people, and average people. Do you know what they all have in common? They all created something worth looking at or something worth thinking about. It's just good to know that whatever has happened and whatever will happen in the history of the world, it will positively effect the arts. People will respond. Whether it's through an edgy sci fi flick, a classical concerto, or an outlandish sculpture, someone is going to say something! Maybe we should listen to what people are saying! You never know, maybe we could learn from each other. At the very least, we could come away with a new point of view or even. . .a laugh. People respond to the world around them, and that response that is so essential to human beings is also incredibly essential to society.

That is why my major is incredibly awesome and valid. I study the fundamental, human responses to happiness, love, death, and despair. So let me tell you, humans aren't as bad as they are made out to be. In fact, people are pretty darn amazing. And I get to study all the wacky and cool things that they create. It makes me so happy. I can't help it--I just love people.

Whoa. . .sorry to get all serious. I just thought I'd give out my response to “Why are you studying humanities?” once and for all. Or maybe I'm just reaffirming to myself why I've spent money and time for this thing called an education.

Next question on my list: “Why are you so short?”


3 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Yay for Humanities! Too bad most of the world doesn't see why it's so wonderful to study--they're the ones who make it hard for us to find jobs. Ug. As to the next question, my answer to that has always been "God made me short to keep me down to earth." Yet people still complain about my height. Well, at least I have my follow short Humanities-involved friend to understand!

Kathy said...

This blog is so special and beautiful it made me cry. Do you know how wonderful you are? How smart? How insightful? How funny? You choose the right major. You are perfect for it and it for you. I know something amazing is going to come from it. ;-)

9c said...

Hi Cheri Kay! This is Nancy, your cousin. i was checking out your blog today, and WOW, it's amazing! You're really good at writing! Hope things are going well for you!